Employee Handbooks & Essential HR Procedures
Why Have an Employee Handbook ?
An employee handbook is a necessary and practical way to clearly outline the procedures & policies that apply in your work place as well as providing other useful information about your business. Your employee handbook supports the employment contract and will ensure in the event of disagreement there are clear guidelines in place for both parties. Written policies and procedures provide a clear framework within which to deal with problems when they arise as well as providing clarity for employees on what is expected of them. Furthermore taking disciplinary action on foot of the breach of a clear procedure that details standards and expectations around performance and behavior will help ensure that any claims brought can be defended.
Essential HR Procedures
The three essential policies that all employers need to have in place as an absolute minimum are:
- Disciplinary & Dismissal Procedure.
- Grievance Procedure.
- Dignity at Work Policy & Complaints Procedure.
As well as the essential policies outlined above depending on the size of business and sector some or all of the following policies may be needed and should be included in your employee handbook:
- Time keeping;
- Alcohol & drugs;
- Absence management & reporting absence;
- Annual leave & booking procedure;
- Compassionate leave;
- Dress code & uniform requirements;
- Statutory leave entitlements ( maternity, adoptive, carers, parental and force majeure leave);
- Internet and email use guidelines;
- Use of social media;
- Staff purchases;
- Travel & expenses;
- Use of mobile phones in the workplace;
- Use of company property & resources;
- Driving & use of company vehicles;
- Health & safety rules;
- Cash & till reconciliation guidelines;
- Customer service;
- Recruitment & selection;
- Garda vetting;
- Child Protection; and
- Adverse weather attendance.
If you want to avoid problems around what is required from your employees in respect of their behavior and performance in the workplace contact HR Solutions who will draft a professional and comprehensive handbook that is tailored specifically to your business and its requirements.